A Danish kind of day of bicycles, theology and music

This morning I took a spin out to Horningsea to get two new tyres for my Copenhagen-Pedersen at the excellent Ben Hayward Cycles. I went out along the main road from Cambridge but came back along the river.

My, what a glorious day it was.

As I spun along in the sun on a Danish bike it struck me that it was highly appropriate that in my bag was the first volume of Knud Ejler Løgstrup's (1905 – 1981) "Metaphysics" a little bit of which I read in the shade of a glade of trees near Horningsea.

Having got back to Cambridge, changed my tyres and gone down the road to vote, I made myself a nice cup of tea and settled down to listen to some music. It seemed inevitable that I should choose to accompany my tea by putting on my favourite recording of Nielsen's three concertos by Kim Sjogren (violin), Niels Thomsen (clarinet),  Toke Lund Christiansen (flute) with the Danish National Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Schonwandt.  Lovely. Listening to that I was immediately sent back to a very atmospheric 1947 recording of the Violin Concerto played by Emil Telmanyi (violin) and the Copenhagen Royal Opera Orchestra conducted by Egisto Tango on the Tono label (Tono X-25081-85). Splendid.

Finally, just after first publishing this post, I realised that today was Søren Kierkegaard's birthday! How odd is that?, not least of all because I'm awaiting delivery in the next day or so of Kierkegaard's "The Lily of the Field and the Bird of the Air: Three Godly Discourses" translated and with an introduction by Bruce H. Kirmmse (Princeton University Press, 2016).

So, without doubt, a Danish kind of day.

As always I took a few photos along the way and paste them below for your enjoyment. All were taken on my iPhone 6+ using Lenka (black & white) and Argent Film Simulation (colour).

The Copenhagen-Pedersen with the new tyres
A glade of trees near Horningsea
A field of rape near Horningsea
The site of the Roman potteries near Horningsea
Looking back towards Horningsea from the other side of the River Cam
Pollarded willows by the River Cam
Heading back into Cambridge along the tow-path by the River Cam
A tumble-down but being restored clapboard house by the River Cam

Comments